Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas.... Ba- humbug!


This year Christmas has really sneaked up on me... I was sick for a while and even when finally well I just could not get into the "holiday spirit". But now it is upon me...and for the last couple of days I have been frantically trying to get something for everyone on my list. But today... as I am almost done I had to stop and think. This year I have had a rather "scrooge-ish" attitude about the whole holiday; always asking myself "just what was so merry about Christmas anyway". Well y'all...in the middle of my pity party the Lord gave me a present and I thought I would share in case there was someone else out there that was feeling the same way. I know that as Christians we say it every year... the whole "its not about the parties and the presents but its about the Lord". But how often do we remember that when we are mid-shopping? I know I rarely do- and that is to my shame.

Anyways back to my main point- I was reminded today just what it is that we are celebrating on December 25th. The fact that God came down to Earth as a humble baby and was born in the most poor conditions to people - that if "good Godly people" would have been asked about them- they would have said were (to use a modern phrase) "sketchy".
Miracle after miracle followed that day; from outcast shepherds being the first witnesses of a king's birth to the miraculous star and wise men a few years later and the exodus to Egypt to save the toddler king. Prophecy after prophecy came true as the Lord grew: fulfilling hundreds of years of promises of a Savior of the people. Only an all knowing God could orchestrate such an intricate story.
I will leave you with one last thought- one of my favorite Christmas songs- "Mary Did You Know"
Mary did you know that your baby boy will one day walk on water? 
Mary did you know that your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?

Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you.
Mary did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?

Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby, you have kissed the face of God.
The blind will see, the deaf will hear and the dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak, the praises of the lamb.
Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?

Mary did you know that your baby boy will one day rule the nations?

Did you know that your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding is the great I am.


Merry Christmas!

No comments: