Friday, July 4, 2008

Firework Frame of Mind?

Hello y'all! I just got back from watching 4th of July fireworks and I got to thinking.... Fireworks are really pretty right? Well for a few seconds anyway- if you blink you miss them. I realized this as I was trying to do some night photography and most of the time my shutter speed was just too slow to catch the splendor of the fireworks. I got to wondering though- just how often is my life like that? I mean- y'all have all been there before I'm sure- the summer camp high when you come back from a week of camp or something and you are So excited and pumped to live for Christ. But then- in a blink of an eye- in a week or so that excitement fades when life "gets in the way" of your walk with the Lord and you forget all of your well intended resolutions. I am so thankful that God isn't like that. He is always the same awesome, never changing God. I think of Him like a light bulb- steady and unwavering. Something that draws us naturally towards Himself. Except unlike a moth and a light bulb- drawing near to God only helps us become better human beings. So then why does my life seem to look like a firework show? Yes- it is beautiful sometimes- though very rarely I fear. But it is a lot like the 4th of July- one day out of a year it shines beautifully- and the rest.....well I hate to admit what the rest looks like. I want to be a light bulb- perhaps not as spectacular- but useful and always burning bright for my God.

2 comments:

Stephanator said...

i guess i do have your blog address... i had forgotten. =)
good post, by the way.

and i'm so glad i got to hang out with you this week... i really enjoyed our talks. i wish we didn't live so far away from each other!
love ya!

Anonymous said...

heh. as long as we're analogizing, i feel like a strobe light--flashing erratic from bright to dark, kinda pretty, i guess, and maybe useful in the right situation, but mostly just annoying
:)