Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life- who is in control?


Here lately I have been woken up to the fact that human beings- no matter how hard we try- are not in control of life and death. With all of modern medicine we can not sometimes prevent death and can never create life. Last week one of my friends had a serious miscarriage- loosing her baby and almost loosing her own life.

I was thinking about the loss of life and the mourning parents left behind and I admit that I was trying to figure out why God would let this baby die. What had he or she done to deserve death? During all of this I was trying to plan my Sunday school lesson for the next day. I had decided on the story of Jesus raising Lazarus because I had a good craft and story telling method already.

I don't know how much my class learned but I sure got a good reminder of Who was in charge of life...

If you remember Lazarus's sisters also had questions such as mine. They both tearfully told Jesus when He finally showed up 4 days after their brother had been buried -"Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died." (John 11:32) Also some of the mourners said "Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?" (John 11:37) How often have we also thought this when someone we loved dies? I know I have- just about every time too... But bringing me back to my main point- these people knew who was in charge of life and death. God is. And God has a plan- just as in this story- He was in the end glorified.

Am I willing to accept that God is glorified in His plans? Are you? It seems so hard to fathom that a loving God would be glorified in a un-born baby's death... But I have since learned that after an autopsy was preformed on the baby, they learned that the baby had a genetic disorder- one that normally causes severe deformities, learning disorders, and early death- if the baby lives at all. Perhaps God is glorified in saving this child from a life of ridicule and pain... Perhaps God could be glorified in the parents waking up to the fact that there is a loving God that wants to carry their burdens and pain if only they would allow Him in... I may never know how God is glorified in this but I do know that He IS glorified...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul had a handle on the thought you are expressing here:

Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations...For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (in Whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named) that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man...that ye...may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height...that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God...Unto Him be glory...Amen
(Ephesians 3:13-21) --Mama